Thursday, August 2, 2007

a complicated kindness

Author: Miriam Toews

Author details: I just read an interview with her and I think I understand so much more why I like her. She grew up Mennonite in a small town (like the narrator of her book) and then she moved to Montreal. The interviewer asked her about her transition and Miriam responded, "It was exciting and it was stimulating. I loved the cosmopolitan culture and its physical beauty, but at the same time I was stuck in between worlds and wondering where I was going to best fit in. I felt like an outsider in my own town as a teenager, and I certainly felt that way in Montreal. I'm not a part of this community, clearly, but I can't go home." Ummm... yeah. I feel ya, Miriam.

Book Details: Funny and sad and with an underlying feeling that people are innately good and well-intentioned, but also complex. Mariam comments on the characters in the novel in her interview: "The people of the community, the individuals, are like individuals everywhere: there are good ones and bad ones, but most of them are in between, like all of us. It's the culture of control that complicates their decency."

I thought this sentence (well, two actually) captured the essence of the novel well: "I miss kids. The way they react to everything like they're alive."

Genre: Novel
Subject: Family

purchase from W&CF
she also wrote a memoir.

No comments: