Friday, October 23, 2009

A Gate At The Stairs

by Lorrie Moore

I liked this quote on the back of the book (by Susan Salter Reynolds of the Los Angeles Times): "Lorrie Moore has something that many writers of her generation don't have: She is truly odd...[But] Moore's stories don't leave us in the solitary confinement that oddity can create.... They are the dance halls and constellations in which eccentricity becomes uniqueness."

I find myself liking Moore's characters and connecting to them because of their genuine quirkiness. In high school I read and reread Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? I liked the main character in it. I don't remember her name, but she was a teenage girl, and she was also weird. In A Gate at the Stairs, the main character (Tassie) and I are not only both girls and a little weird (although I think she is a lot odder than I am), but Tassie also grew up on a farm in Wisconsin (a lot different than my farm with her bumbling father and emo mother and close proximity to a big city) and like me, she graduates from her small town high school in 2001. The story starts during her freshman year of college, a few months after 9/11. I can't recall another book I've read in which the main character and I were the same age in the same year.

Who will run the frog hospital? was short (just over a 100 pages) and I had lived a lot less when I read it. It was easy to connect. In A Gate at the Stairs, Tassie and I have a lot more in common, but I also know 200 more pages about her life and I know ten years more about mine, which makes it easier to see that in fact we are quite different.

But it still doesn't make me like her any less.

No comments: